Run Canada Day 10k, 5k and Kids Run & Canadian Diabetes
Does Diabetes affect me? Chances are someone you know has diabetes:
- More than 9 million Canadians live with diabetes or prediabetes.
- Approximately 338,000 British Columbians have either type 1 or type 2 diabetes.
- 20 people are diagnosed with diabetes every hour.
- Diabetes medication and supplies can cost a person $1,000 to $15,000 a year.
- By 2020, it’s estimated that diabetes will cost BC’s healthcare system $1.9 billion annually
Help us make even more of an impact. Make a donation!
The funds raised through this event will support the important work of the Canadian Diabetes Association including…
- 18 summer camps across Canada for children with type 1 diabetes – two in BC!
- $7 million of research annually
- Educational programs and services
- Advocating on behalf of people with diabetes
About the Canadian Diabetes Association
The Canadian Diabetes Association is leading the fight against diabetes by helping people with diabetes live healthy lives while working to find a cure. The Association delivers on this mission by providing people with diabetes and healthcare professionals with education and services; advocating on behalf of people with diabetes; supporting research and translating research into practical applications.
Reducing the Risk – Prevention of type 2 diabetes through a healthy, active lifestyle
To date there is no proven way to prevent type 1 diabetes. The onset of type 2 diabetes may be prevented or delayed, through increased physical activity, healthy eating and weight loss. Taking these steps now can lead to a healthier future. Studies have shown that people at risk of type 2 diabetes were able to reduce their risk by 58% by exercising moderately for 30 minutes a day and by losing 5 to 7% of their body weight. In people age 60 and older, the risk was cut by almost 71%. Learn more about diabetes.