Run Canada Day 10k, 5k and Kids Run & Diabetes Canada
Does Diabetes affect me? Chances are someone you know has diabetes:
- More than 9 million Canadians live with diabetes or prediabetes.
- Approximately 338,000 British Columbians have either type 1 or type 2 diabetes.
- 20 people are diagnosed with diabetes every hour.
- Diabetes medication and supplies can cost a person $1,000 to $15,000 a year.
- By 2020, it’s estimated that diabetes will cost BC’s healthcare system $1.9 billion annually
Help us make even more of an impact. Make a donation!
The funds raised through this event will support the important work of Diabetes Canada including…
- 18 summer camps across Canada for children with type 1 diabetes – two in BC!
- $7 million of research annually
- Educational programs and services
- Advocating on behalf of people with diabetes
Diabetes Canada is leading the fight against diabetes by helping people with diabetes live healthy lives while working to find a cure. The Association delivers on this mission by providing people with diabetes and healthcare professionals with education and services; advocating on behalf of people with diabetes; supporting research and translating research into practical applications.
Reducing the Risk – Prevention of type 2 diabetes through a healthy, active lifestyle
To date there is no proven way to prevent type 1 diabetes. The onset of type 2 diabetes may be prevented or delayed, through increased physical activity, healthy eating and weight loss. Taking these steps now can lead to a healthier future. Studies have shown that people at risk of type 2 diabetes were able to reduce their risk by 58% by exercising moderately for 30 minutes a day and by losing 5 to 7% of their body weight. In people age 60 and older, the risk was cut by almost 71%. Learn more about diabetes.